Wednesday, November 6, 2013
2nd week in the MTC - Nov 1st letter date
Sorry this is a day late, but today is a holiday in Spain, so since the teachers have today off, they moved our Pday to Friday this week. On a normal week it is on Thursday. It is strange, traditionally, Spanish people don´t celebrate Halloween, but the prominence of the United States has made it more popular here. We saw a bunch of kids out and around last night in costumes. The holiday that is today is very similar to Memorial day back home. Everyone goes to cemeteries to honor those that have passed on. Wow, I feel like I will say this every time I mail home, but where do I start!?!? Spanish is coming along great! It´s difficult, but I am definitely making progress! The MTC is very hard, but I am continuously growing closer to Christ, and my testimony is growing more than it ever has before. I already feel my mission has changed my life dramatically, and I have only been out for about 2 and a half weeks! There are a couple of experiences that I want to share about this past week. As you know, we go to Buen Retiro Park every week to proselyte. It is one of the scariest things for me personally, but when I get there, I always feel strength and comfort. When we went this week, my temporary companion was Elder Dailey. He is from AF, and he is a pretty cool guy. As we walked into the park, we decided to walk the in the opposite direction that everyone else did, kind of towards the corner of the park. As we walked, we couldn´t really find anyone to talk to, so we decided to pray again and ask Heavenly Father to help us find someone who would listen to us. We then walked a little further, and almost immediately we saw a woman taking pictures by a stream. I felt like she was the one! We went and talked to her (luckily Elder Dailey was a little better at Spanish that I was.) She was visiting Madrid from Peru for business. She seemed very accepting and curious! We gave her a Book of Mormon, and she filled out a reference. I have no idea if she will actually take the discussions, but that experience taught me one thing. God answers prayers. Usually, it is not obvious, and we need to be constantly searching, and listening to the Holy Ghost. But, I feel like we all occasionally need a spiritual slap in the face, and that is what Saturday was for me. The other experience that was pretty great was the day before. There is a sister missionary in our district that is struggling with the transition to the mission, both physically and mentally. Last Friday was a difficult day for her, so she asked me if as the district leader, I could give a blessing of comfort to her. I full heartedly agreed, but I was very nervous. This was the first comfort blessing I had ever given. Even though I was nervous, I knew that it wasn´t actually me giving a blessing, and that I was just a channel for the power of the priesthood to help her. So, as I started the blessing, I immediately was comforted, and the words that I said were not my own. I love this gospel. I am extremely grateful for the power of the priesthood. I am grateful that I was worthy enough to give that sister a blessing, and have that amazing experience for the both of us. I am grateful to be on a mission. Even though I miss home at times, I know that it is what I need to do at this time in my life. I know this church is true, and I know that God loves us. Whenever we need anything, we can call upon our Father in Heaven. Thanks mom and dad! I love you so much, and I miss you tons! Elder Rawlinson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment