Sunday, October 5, 2014

Nicholas, Roberto, and German



Dear Family,

A great first week here during this second transfer with Elder Smith! We are setting goals, and working hard, and we have definitley seen the hand of the Lord as we do that. I love seeing that when we recommit to serving the Lord, he blesses us with miracles. For instance, on Tuesday, we were out in the street, when we heard "Elder! Elder!" from behind us. As we turn around, we met Nicolás, an Argentinian member that has been here for three months. He told us that he had been looking for a chapel, and that he hasn´t been to church in about two years. We met with him, and his stepbrother, Roberto. Nicolás is 19, and his brother is 14. His dad got married to Roberto´s mom about a month ago, and they are all living together. Nicolás is the only member, and we were able to teach him and Roberto the restoration, and we are very excited to see them come back, or get to know the Church!

We also met a new investigator named German. He is a brother of another investigator we have, and we talked to him while trying to get a hold of our investigator. He was going through a hard time, and told us, "You guys can´t convince me, I don´t believe in God." We taught him about prayer, and how we don´t convince people, but we help them to find God. But, I didn´t see to much success. When we shared a scripture to help him, he said, "That´s beautiful, let me show you something that I think is beautiful." He then tried to put some Nicolas Cage movie on, and told us that he was very interested in Film. Haha, can´t say I have seen that happen on my mission before! We testified that indeed, yes, God does exist, and set up a time to come back. When we visited a couple of days later, he was completely different. He listened as we talked about the Plan of Salvation, and the importance of this life, and prayed at the end of the lesson. It was one of the most humble and sincere prayers I have heard. We asked him how he felt after, and he said, "Well, a little better." That simple really testified to me the power of sincere prayer. It helps us to know that God exists, and that he is always there to comfort us. There is a quote in the new mormon message, "The Hope of God´s Light" that says, "Spiritual light rarely comes to people who merely sit in darkness, waiting for someone to flip a switch. It takes an act of faith to open our eyes to The Light of Christ." I saw this in that lesson with German. His act of faith was what gave him the calm peacefull feeling after praying. There is still a long way to go with him, but I am very excited to help him, and others grow, and see The Light of Christ. That is our purpose as missionaries, and I am seeing that more than ever lately.

I also had my first district meeting this Wednesday! I hope that it went well! To answer your question, we have 8 missionaries in our district, 6 Élderes, and 2 Hermanas. We talked about General Conference, and how we can get ready personaly, and how we can help our investigators get ready. We focused on Mosiah 2:9, and what King Benjamin askes his people to do as he starts his discourse. I invite you to read it, and think of the ways that you can apply it to General conference in a couple weeks. I am super excited! It seems like just 1 month ago that we had the last conference! Man, time flies out here!

Yes, I did get the package! I love it! I might have eaten the Twix´s already. ;) Thank you so much! Great music, an awesome shirt, and amazing letters! Thank you, Thank you, thank you!!!! 

Until next week,

Sincerley,
Elder Rawlinson

No comments: